New Year, New Career – Korn Ferry Releases Book on How to Take Control and Get Ahead in 2020
- Korn Ferry CEO Shares Proven Strategies for Taking Control of Your Career -
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In his new book, Advance: The Ultimate How-To Guide for Your Career, Gary Burnison, CEO of Korn Ferry (NYSE: KFY), and a New York Times best-selling author, shares an insider’s look on everything professionals need to take control and get ahead in their careers in the new year.
Advance draws on Burnison’s experiences—plus the expertise of Korn Ferry, a global organizational consulting firm with nearly 10,000 employees that develops thousands of people every year and puts someone in a job every three minutes of the workday.
The book delivers straight talk on a wide range of essential career topics – from managing for the first time, surviving bad bosses, and coping with coworkers to delivering great presentations, working virtually—and, of course, getting promoted and making more money.
Advance unlocks the secrets to advancement for everyone—especially those who have become passive and stuck in their careers and don’t know where to turn. Not knowing what to do, they wait – even though raises don’t materialize, and promotions go to others – all the while expecting their employer will come to their rescue.
“Professionals need to get themselves ready for the next job and open the door to their next opportunity,” says Burnison. “But the sad fact is most people spend more time doing research when buying a flat-screen TV or a washing machine than thinking about how to get ahead in their careers. To get that job, to land that promotion or to get ahead in this new year – a time when the rules are changing dramatically – people need to take control. No one is coming to the rescue.”
Advance provides strategic direction for getting ahead. The book lays out a plan in three basic steps: “First, it starts with you—with greater self-awareness of your strengths, weaknesses, and motivation,” Burnison says. “But, second, it’s not about you. Instead, you need to develop emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills to work more effectively with others—especially that difficult boss or those annoying coworkers. And, third, if you really want to earn more, you need to learn more—becoming a lifelong learner.”
Advance offers invaluable career advice to professionals at every level – from recent college graduates to senior executives. Key concepts include the following, and more:
How to earn more money and get promoted – following the advice contained in the acronym “MORE”:
- M – Meet face-to-face with your boss, with ongoing discussions about goals, priorities, and how you can contribute to team success.
- O – Own your objectives of what you’re going to deliver and when, to become an outlier in performance – and indispensable to the boss.
- R – Research the market to find out what your position is worth, instead of merely assuming you’re underpaid.
- E – Envision your end game of taking on new challenges and opportunities to learn and grow, as you progress from job to job.
- Surviving a difficult boss – and determining when you’re the problem
- Coexisting with coworkers – the good, the bad, and the utterly annoying
- Managing for the first time – without pulling the “authority” card
- Working virtually – without becoming invisible
- Building political capital – knowing where the influence really lies
- Avoid useless meetings – no more default to “let’s have a meeting”
- Going global – whether “at home” or with an overseas assignment
- Using your “right brain” – developing key people skills
- And more…
The book complements Korn Ferry's newest offering for professional-level job seekers, Korn Ferry Advance (www.kfadvance.com/). Korn Ferry Advance offers online assessments, resume review, career coaching, and other services that leverage Korn Ferry's vast IP and consulting expertise in leadership development. Through Korn Ferry Advance, job seekers find the expertise they need and the encouragement they desire to find the career path that will bring them more purpose and passion and elevate their performance.
About Korn Ferry
Korn Ferry is a global organizational consulting firm. We work with clients to design their organizational structures, roles and responsibilities. We help them hire the right people and advise them on how to reward, develop and motivate their workforce. And, we help professionals navigate and advance their careers.
Source: Korn Ferry
Released January 2, 2020