Korn/Ferry Institute Issues Top 10 Strategies for Job Seekers in Down Market
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Korn/Ferry International (NYSE: KFY), a premier global provider of talent management solutions, today issued 10 strategies for job seekers in today's turbulent economic climate. The top 10 list was culled and rank-ordered from recommendations provided by Korn/Ferry's global network of executive recruiters:
10) Start the search immediately: Don't take extended time off. The search process can take 6-12 months for senior executives.
9) Treat the search process like a job: Establish your schedule and hold yourself accountable for making progress daily.
8) Be open to interim positions, freelancing or consulting: Companies are cutting fixed costs in today's economy, but may have consulting opportunities for projects or niche specialties to compensate for reduced head-count. These opportunities enable you to draw an income, maintain your skills and move you to the front of the line when hiring begins.
7) Be willing to commute or relocate: As industries evolve, career opportunities migrate. Know where the positions are going in your field and be willing to move for the right opportunity.
6) Don't panic, be patient, but don't be picky: Appearing overanxious to a prospective employer will only diminish your value. And certainly you don't want to jump from one precarious position to the next. But dream jobs are scarce in today's market. Remember that most positions are not strictly bound by their job description but rather they are what you make of them.
5) Be flexible: Don't get hung up on compensation structure and title. Coming in at a pay grade or title below your ideal may work to your advantage. As you exceed expectations, title and salary will adjust accordingly in time.
4) Keep sharp: Stay current on the latest news, trends and technologies that are important in your industry.
3) Stay fit: Don't neglect your health and diet, which too often lapse with the stress of job searching.
2) Use your resources: There are a number of online tools and free resources that assist job seekers. Start with your university, professional organizations, veterans group or other affiliations you may have for assistance. Online resources recommended by Korn/Ferry executive recruiters include:
-- U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration:
-- National Career Development Association: http://ncda.org/
-- Wall Street Journal Careers page:
-- About.com / Career Planning: http://careerplanning.about.com/
1) Network, network, network: There's no substitute for personal relationships when looking for career opportunities. Professional associations, alumni associations, and informational interviews are tried and true ways to conduct a job hunt. Today, networking is easier than ever with social and professional networking sites like LinkedIn, Classmates.com or Facebook. (Wikipedia has an extensive list at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites)
"Just like successful organizations, leaders find creative ways to quickly steer themselves in the right direction during uncertain times," said Bob Damon, President, North America, Korn/Ferry International. "We're finding that executives who are more aggressive, proactive and resourceful with their job search during this economic turmoil are rebounding much more quickly than those who are passive and waiting for an opportunity to come their way."
The Executive Recruiter Index was based on interviews with a sample of Korn/Ferry International consultants, who serve the world's largest corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Interviews were conducted with North American consultants in November and December 2008.
About The Korn/Ferry Institute
The Korn/Ferry Institute was founded to serve as a premier global voice on a range of talent management and leadership issues. The Institute commissions, originates and publishes groundbreaking research utilizing Korn/Ferry's unparalleled expertise in executive recruitment and talent development combined with its preeminent behavioral research library. The Institute is dedicated to improving the state of global human capital for businesses of all sizes around the world. For more information on the Korn/Ferry Institute, visit www.kornferryinstitute.com.
About Korn/Ferry International
Korn/Ferry International, with more than 80 offices in 39 countries, is a premier global provider of talent management solutions. Based in Los Angeles, the firm delivers an array of solutions that help clients to identify, deploy, develop, retain and reward their talent. For more information on the Korn/Ferry International family of companies, visit www.kornferry.com.
SOURCE Korn/Ferry International